Friday, February 6, 2009

The odd moment of silence

I don't know where all the kids are --- but I'm not going to find out (for at least the next 30 minutes). This has been sort of a tough week. Do you ever feel like no matter how hard you work you just can't avoid critical mass-pressure, the point where you explode? It seems to happen all too often to me.
Added to the usual nightly stress of homework, baby, dinner and bedtime without Mike, there's been way too much on the plate. Plus Mike's had lay-offs this week at work, keeping him occupied and both of us a little nervous. Add in too little sleep... & you have a recipe for an epoch melt-down. I just got worn out. SO - last night I spent some time crying ... more accurately: having a tantrum. Sometimes something has to give. I feel like Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde - calm, happy & everything under control one minute, and several hours later (after the kids have come home from school - and I'm in the middle of pandemonium,) some crazy lady, yelling at everyone, occasionally in tears.
I'm not sure what the answer is. But I think finding it is what being a parent is all about. Once we've learned that secret we win. In the mean time we work at keeping our heads above water - and with any luck not scar (or scare) our children permanently.
Last night after the storm subsided I sat down with Jessie to talk and reminded her (and me) that there are no perfect families. Hopefully we're improving - (drama like that is too tiring).

1 comment:

kirsten said...

Angie, I'm glad you admit to being part of the chaos of life and motherhood. Chaotic joy, I guess? You are one of the most patient and together women I know! Glad to see you have your moments, too. We all do (ahem).