Thursday, March 12, 2009

What's going on?

Random updates -
Sully began to crawl, actually army crawl, Sunday. He's still pretty slow - but we can now say that he's semi-mobile. I've decided that the same developmental switch in his brain that flipped for crawling also controls the ability to spit. He spends about 2 hours every day spitting... which is pretty cool (especially when you're within range). But the face he makes while he's doing it is priceless. It looks more like a "bathroom" face: flushed (no pun intended) with intense concentration. The other kids LOVE it, and they spend quite a bit of time coaxing him to spit more. So, they stand there face to face with him spitting back and forth. I've told them I don't mind his spitting - but theirs is too much. I'll try to get a video of that.

Mike's big news of the week is that he won his first ESSAY CONTEST. (Seriously, he's proud of this.) He was poking around this website, www.snowshoeutah.com, and noticed that they were hosting a contest to win snowshoes, gaiters, poles etc. for the best entry about your favorite trail or why you want to start. Mike gave it shot, telling how he got all of us snowshoes for Valentines Day but that he was just skinning up his old telemark skis to go with us - and that he'd like his own. Anyway, of course they loved it. He's stoked. He'll pick up his new equipment tomorrow. Check out his moment of glory on their site.

Grace will be in the St. Patrick's Day parade down town. She'll be dancing with her little Irish Dance class (the Shamrocks) afterward for anyone who wants to come. Sat. March 14 - 9:00 AM at the Gateway. She's pretty excited.

And, on a little more serious note: as a non-contentious response to all the "Big Love" hubbub I'm posting this sweet video the church put out. It's cool how the church can turn something so lame around, giving people an accurate glimpse of the purpose and experience of temples. So, if you haven't seen it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-x_-TQivCx8

2 comments:

Ty KT Family said...

Congrats Mike! Wow snowshoeing, what a novel idea, we even used to own a pair until we moved to the land of sun and sand.

Thanks ang for the good book referenced, I read them all plus some more and am hooked, I will be following Holly into the land of home education next year and I am so excited.
I love to hear from you and see fun pictures of your family, I am a bit envious of baby number 5, I'm not sure we will ever get there but I love to see big families. Of course here 4 is very large and draws all sorts of stares and sympathy remarks and some looks of fondness too.

If we ever get home we will come and visit

kirsten said...

so glad you had a nice birthday. That looks like a really fun family hobby that you've started!

Call me one of these days - i seriously want to take some photos of Sully before he gets any bigger! I'm serious.