Previously, I had read a little about the idea of the benefits of natural, wild yeast strains, in tempering the grains in our diet. They pre-digest gluten, and help in the absorption of nutrients. Apparently, wheat can be a tough nut to crack (literally and metaphorically) for human digestive systems. Which is why some people have a hard time with it, especially whole wheat. Current levels of gluten intolerance and a host of related gastrointestinal problems coincide with the introduction of fast-rising/instant yeast, developed in the early 1980's. As I read more about wild yeast, I became more excited about the possibilities.
So, feeling inspired, I sent away for a natural yeast start. I waited impatiently for it to arrive (only 3 or 4 days, but it seemed like forever). On Saturday, I spotted the envelope in the mail...and felt a little giddy as I carefully opened it and examined the tiny plastic bag containing my precious yeast. There it was, a little living thing, waiting to be nurtured and fed, in order to feed us in return. I couldn't help feeling attached to it. It was almost spiritual. :)
I wasted no time in designating a canning jar for its new home, and getting to work feeding it.
![]() |
| Such a little thing... |
![]() |
| First feeding....crossing my fingers that it will be a success. |
![]() |
| Random picture of Mitch-darling ...just because he happened to be standing there in the kitchen while I started the yeast. (And he looked cute.) |
And PRESTO! 2 days later, after a second feeding, it is just about ready to go (see those tell-tale bubbles forming against the side of the jar?). I think I will give it a go tomorrow with something simple, like waffles.
I am pretty excited, but also a little nervous. I have never really cooked with natural yeast, and I know there will be a learning curve. In the book (which is sitting conveniently in the background of the picture above), the co-author suggests taking a month just to practice maintaining the yeast start, without trying to coordinated baking days (because with wild yeast you have to time it just right with yeast-feeding days). That's good advise...especially for busy, BUSY moms like me. Otherwise, I could be looking at a giant fail.
I am hoping this will be a nutritional boon to my family, specifically those with digestion probs (I'm looking at you, Mike). I will keep you posted on my baking (mis?)adventures.





2 comments:
Thanks for the book recommends, both look super interesting. Good luck with the yeast and keep us posted!
I was just telling Aaron about this and he pulled out a book we have called wild fermentation along the same lines, interesting!
Post a Comment