...actually, August is almost passed. I always feel a little sad as the summer comes to a close. Sad, but relieved. Sad because I will be homesick for the kids when they go back to school. Sad because I am reminded that they are another year older in school. (I cried this morning thinking about Sully starting kindergarten.) Relieved because having 6 active kids in the house all day, along with a multitude of friends (and I do mean a MULTITUDE) is really tiring and chaotic. Relieved because I am all worn out from spearheading the outings, adventures and projects. Relieved because I might actually be able to get the kitchen clean for more than 10 minutes. And I just need that...psychologically.
We've had some magic moments (and some not-so-magical) this month.
Here are some photos from the hike we took at Noblett's Trail a few weekends back. It's a little bit of a drive (near Kamas), but SO beautiful. It's a shady hike (for most of the day), next to a bubbling stream, lots of moss, flowers, wild raspberries for the kids to snack on along the way, and butterflies. It was absolutely lovely. I always feel so refreshed when we get out into nature...but this hike was especially rejuvenating. Thanks Helen for the recommendation.
| I love Sully's expression in this picture. |
| Raspberry picking |
| Jupiter was a happy hiker |
| Mike stealing kisses |
| Sully on the hunt with his butterfly net in the wild flowers. |
| Oh...sweet Sully... |
The annual end-of-summer-guy-trip to Strawberry
Crawdadding before the big crawdad boil at lunch.
They had a blast...as usual.
Some of Mike's Teachers' Quorum members came over one night and were goofing around in the driveway. This stunt ended spectacularly. We left the scooter there as a reminder.
Jess competed at County Fair. She had a pretty good show, and qualified for state again. That will happen the end of Sept. She loves this horse. They are making some great memories together. Thanks again, Grandpa...for everything.
On a more sad note, Mike sold his Tacoma last week. The first vehicle he's ever owned that he chose just for himself. It was nothing fancy (his parents' old Camry that he's driving now is more comfortable), but he loved it. I keep telling him he is just making room for something even better to come.
Then yesterday we heard the news that my Dad's beloved horse, Rojo, had to be put down. He was getting old and in a lot of pain. It was time.
My dad loved that horse more than any other he's ever known. He likes to tell one story in particular about that horse. On one Unitah trip, years ago Mike, his brother Tim, and my brother-in-law Derek got separated from the rest of the group on their horses, and had been missing for hours. My dad went out searching for them on Rojo for a long time without any luck. But, as my dad says, as soon as Rojo could sense what he needed, he turned his head and lead the way right to them. For that act alone, that horse has been forever endeared to my dad. And to me too.
***
And then today the kids started back to school. The first day of school is always a little hard on me. It is a reminder of how OLD my children are getting...in a hurry. Here they are, leaving at all hours today:
Jess ready for early-morning seminary at 6 AM...
These three waiting for the carpool (Grace 6th, Noble 7th / middle school!, Tillman 4th)...
Sully ready to leave for afternoon kindergarten (he was a champ when I dropped him off...I wasn't.)...
...and Abner wanting in on the school action (notice the back pack he's holding behind him)
Changes are sometimes hard, I try to remind myself that change leads us to better things to come. One season ends and another begins. Summer fun comes to a close. Mike hands the keys of the Tacoma over and moves on. A beloved animal gets old and dies. My babies go to school...and grow up (Jess gets her learner's driving permit next month).
It is all leading us to greater things. Remember that (speaking to myself).
Opening the next door.
No comments:
Post a Comment