Thursday, January 23, 2014

Southbound

Just as the most recent winter inversion was setting in we packed up and headed south for the 4 day MLK weekend. We have been anxious to meet our new nephew and see Mike's parents - so when the opportunity presented itself, we went.

We had to leave Jessie behind. She had school on Friday and basketball practice that she couldn't miss. It seems like this having to leave a child or two behind for family trips is happening more often as the kids get older. It is one of my least favorite things about having teenagers. We missed her.

Friday we got Jess off to school for late start day...which meant it was also a late start for us getting on the road. We had an uneventful trip and pulled up to the Melton's house in Washington about 4:30. 
It felt like a long time since we had seen them...a lot had happened since Christmas.

Saturday morning we took a beautiful little hike up into the reserve north of the house. The sun was warm, the air clean, and the views spectacular!



Looking north into the reserve. A lot to explore. We'll be back!


Zion on the horizon. So beautiful!

Sully schmoozed himself a ride for the last mile on grandpa's shoulders.
 Grandpa treated everyone to slushies at the nearby Marverik on our trek back home, and we sat out on the patio in the sun to finish them.

Slurpees on the patio in St. George.
This is the life!
After our morning jaunt, we had lunch and put Abner down for a nap. Howard took the older boys to swim at the rec center pool, while Jacque and Grace stayed home with Ab. Mike and I drove south to Las Vegas to visit his brothers and sister-in-law and meet our new nephew.

We met Gary and Val at the hospital in Southern Highlands, where Mike and I were taken one at a time back into the NICU to see baby Pax. The little guy is up over 5 lbs. now and getting stronger every day. Hopefully soon he'll be able to go home. Here he is at 3 weeks old. 

Meeting my new nephew! 3 weeks old and growing like a champ. Love.


He is one special...and beloved boy. I was so proud of Gary and Val. It is a beautiful thing to watch them as parents. I was brought to tears once or twice. I could have stayed and stared at Pax all night. (If you ask Mike, I practically did, staying in the NICU a really long time. I couldn't help it.)
We love him.

We had dinner later with Gary and Val and Tim, when he got off of work. I wish I had taken a picture of everyone together. We really miss seeing them, and being more involved in each others' lives. I am so grateful for all our siblings.
We left Las Vegas about 10 PM, and made the drive back to St. George that night, getting in about 1 AM Utah time. I slept content that night, having spent some quality time, making memories with family that day.

Sunday was a very relaxing day. After church we ate, the kids went with Mike and Howard to visit one of Howard's cousins up the road, and I got a nap. Woohoo!
Cleaning up Sunday dinner with Grandma

Monday morning we had a leisurely breakfast and packed up. 

Mike and Howard played a game of football with the older kids in the park down the hill.
upload

image

Meanwhile, back at the ranch...
Sully and Ab were hooked up with a movie inside their box/fort/spaceship.


...And cut playdo with Grandma.


We finally packed up the car, and then had lunch with Mom and Dad at Costa Vida before striking out for the great white north. 

We stopped at a gas station in Cedar City where the kids all purchased a Sobe for the road. 
Not sure that was the best idea. What happened afterward  will forever be known in family legend as
the "So-pee" incident. 

It was one potty emergency after another all the way home. We stopped several more times, including a gas station and the freeway off ramp at Holden. There were also a few episodes of "refilling" an empty Sobe bottle in the back seat, (I still laugh when I think about Grace asking pathetically, "Please can I come sit on the middle row?" so she didn't have to sit right next to her brother for that.)... as well as having to change a set of wet clothes. Sully somehow also managed to wet his stuffed sock monkey...which reminded us of the time when Tillman had an accident on a family road trip to Yosemite, after which he announced confidently to everyone, "Don't worry, I wiped it up with my pillow!"  ha ha ha.

Oh my goodness. Good times.

Thanks to all our south-western relatives for the great weekend! See you soon!

No comments: