Sunday, March 15, 2015

40 Years

Can you believe it? I'm Forty.

This is how we celebrated...
Brave souls at the bottom of the Goblin's Lair rappel
Thanks to Mike, I had the best birthday ever. (Except when I turned 6 and I got bunk beds. No one could top that.) Mike planned an epic 40th birthday friend party, and had managed to keep all of it a secret from me until about 2 weeks out when he panicked and told me so he could get help with the logistics. I wasn't disappointed to be let in on the secret. It was a little like finding out if your baby is a boy or girl: whether at the ultrasound or at birth, it's still exciting. I helped him plan the menu and send out the info to our guests, an eclectic group of our friends from different spheres: old high school / college friends, ward / neighborhood friends, 4H friends -- along with my parents and brother, Casey and his family who made the trip to help pull off a magical weekend.

Mike had scheduled the group camp site at the Goblin Valley camp ground. Most of us decided to bring a trailer / RV because temperatures at night were forecast in the 20's. This was a first for us - but I have to say, I could get used to that. A warm, comfortable place to sleep, convenient bathroom, hot running water, a refrigerator....AND the beauty of nature right outside the door...that's what I'm talking about. The only downside was having to fill the tank on the expedition again and again...it takes a lot of gas to pull something that big.

We made the trip down on Thursday evening and set up camp. Our friends, the Laroza's made it down late Thursday night too. Friday morning we got up (Abner woke us up at 6:30 AM yelling, "Emy's here! Emy's here!" after he looked out the window and saw his bff's trailer parked next to ours), made our breakfast and then set out together for Little Wild Horse Canyon where we hiked about 4 miles with our friends.
Abner and Sully spanning the canyon walls in Little Wild Horse
During the day on Friday we were joined by the Sullivan's, the Anderton's, the Wheeler's and about midnight, the Loveland family in their bus. That evening we made a preliminary expedition into the Valley of the Goblin's while Mike and Irwin drove into Hanksville for a spare part to make a repair on one of the trailers (the first of two trips to Hanksville over the weekend). The kids had a blast.


After dinner around the campfire with everyone,  Mike and I stayed up late with the Wheeler's talking about life and burned a good portion of wood while we waited for the Loveland's.

The next morning we had a deluxe group breakfast before some took the horde of kids for a game of capture the flag in the Valley of the Goblins while others of us headed out to rappel the Goblin's Lair. I missed the opportunity the last time we did this so I was excited to go. And a little nervous. I don't like ledges.

Hiking out to Goblin's Lair


Becky preparing to the rappel into Goblin's Lair
At the edge. I kept grilling Casey about EXACTLY what I was supposed to do...and telling him I loved him...just in case. I wanted him to know I trusted him...and not to let me fall.

Me in the middle of my 72 foot descent into Goblin's Lair.
Casey, the expert, bringing up the rear.
Our friend, Kyle, slipped into his Lawrence of Arabia headdress just before he made his descent. He was the one of the last one's down, and we all laughed super hard when we saw him come over the edge dressed for the occasion. Later, after we climbed out of the cavern, he photo bombed this picture of Jessie and her friend. This is probably my favorite picture of the weekend. Seriously funny.


After a leisurely lunch together we all said our goodbyes; some stayed for another day while others returned home.

I was amazed at how well everyone meshed and enjoyed talking & laughing together, not knowing each other before, and with different backgrounds. Some were making plans to get together later independent of us. Such cool people. I am so grateful for good people in my life, those who made the trip to Goblin and those who weren't there. In my 40 years I have been blessed with some of the best friends and mentors anyone could know. I love you all.
Also, thanks and love to all of my family and Mike's family. You are the most important part of my life. We had a get together with my siblings the day after we got back. I love them so much. They are my best friends. (They were there for that unsurpassed 6 year old bunk bed birthday.) And to my parents, my oldest friends: thanks for ALL my birthdays. I love you.

2 comments:

Michelle Wilkes said...

Happy Birthday! So glad you did something epic- I really believe that those big miles stones are worth commemorating. I'm in the process of planning mine for next month. Wanna come???!?? It'll be in Texas, and not as exciting as ropelling and camping for the weekend, but I'll be there so you know it will be fun!
And thank you for sharing some of those 40 years with me.
And where are those bunk beds now?

ANG said...

I wish I knew what happened to the bunk beds.
And I wish I could come to your birthday party! Enjoy it! Love you Michelle!