Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Spinning plates.

Lately at church we've been involved in the big Temple Youth Celebration which includes every teenager within the temple districts of the new Draper Temple and Oquirrh Mountain Temple. It's a giant music, dance, cultural performance downtown at the Conference Center the end of May. The weekly rehersals have been a logistical challenge - to say the least (especially with our family's schedule). But it really is a cool opportunity for the kids to have some involvement in the process of building a new temple.

I wasn't busy enough SO... I volunteered to help out with our school's fundraising event - a 5k, thinking that they would have me handing out water bottles, pulling tabs in the chute, whatever. Turns out they were desperate for help - because they put me in charge of the finish line committee - and apparently I'm the only one who's ever been involved with racing before. To begin with I asked if we had a race clock lined up. We didn't...and the expectation was that I would locate one...for free. Someone had to do it. So I've been on that one for about a month. Long story short - I tracked down my old cross country coach from High School - Coach Arbogast, to ask for some direction. He graciously offered to let us borrow a clock. I'll be picking it up tomorrow morning from the school (that will be a blast from the past! -walking the halls of Bingham High again - I hope the kids think I'm cool!) Hopefully he'll be able to make it clear how to use it. I don't want to mess up with 220 runners counting on an accurate time. The race is this Saturday (at the same time as Jessie's first horse show - wouldn't you know.) I'll let you know how that goes.

1 comment:

Turbo said...

Whoa! Arb is still coaching at BHS? Solid. I'm sure that was a blast from the past.