Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Simple Food: Chocolate


OK, I'm not sure that this exactly fits my original intent with the Simple Food thing. But it kind of does. I've been reading this cool book that my sister gave me - (I think that's 350 pesos not dollars).
It follows chocolate / cacao from its origins as a Maya drink (usually served frothy, unsweetened, & spicy) through its introduction into European cuisine, becoming the first alkaloid drink (before tea and coffee), and for a time extremely popular. It also covers the transition to sweetened & solid chocolate.
Green and Black's is a Mexican producer - and style themselves as authentic (though I think the authentic unsweetened stuff of the old days might not go over so well in the modern market). 
50%+ cacao solids constitute a true dark chocolate. The 85% pictured above really packs a punch. One of our favorites has been the red chili. The Maya & later the Aztec had a good thing going with that.

2 comments:

Jaynan said...

MMMM. I told Nate the other day that I'm truly getting old because I LOVE dark chocolate. I thought I'd never see the day, but that heavy on the dark chocolate cup of true cocoa sounds like heaven.

Congrats on your successful new house purchase & move in. I kept asking Nate for info and he passed along your blog address. I'm loving your creative posts.

ANG said...

@ Jaynan - good to hear from you. Yeah, dark chocolate... :)