I couldn't believe how much energy I had yesterday so I started working on a bunch of projects. A homemade felted advent calendar, a dump truck-load of laundry, mopping the floors... I didn't finish any of it. EXCEPT my last minute plan to make a Hanukkah meal. The kids were pretty excited that there was something festive going on. They overlooked the sad inaccuracy of our pretend menorah and just took it all in. I sat them down at the table and started to tell the story of Hanukkah. No sooner had I begun, but they started chiming in with details of the story that they already knew. Tillman: "Yeah, Judah Maccabee! I know him. He fought against the Greeks." Jessie: "The Greeks sacrificed a pig on the altar of the temple!" (I don't think anyone ever taught me this stuff in elementary school... or high school for that matter. My kids are either WAY smarter than me or educational opportunities have improved - or both.)
Anyway, I think we'll repeat this next year. Everyone loved the food. Potato latke, Challah (braided egg bread), roasted chicken in a traditional marinade, apple sauce, and apple cookies with ice cream (don't know if that part is very Jewish - but whatever). The kids wanted to know if we could celebrate every night of Hanukkah.
Me: "Um. This is good enough."
1 comment:
I love potato Latke's! We should have come over for some festive-ness, but I'm not wanted to spread the cold germs I've been fighting. Beautiful Table of Jewish goodies!
Post a Comment