Mike's crossword of all the members of our family plus a couple of front runners for the new baby. We have a few other names in the running besides these.
Jupiter, Pluto & Slick are our pets' names - just to be clear. Although Slick would make a great kid name too. Ha ha ha.
It's tough to name children. I've always thought of it as a heavy responsibility. And since this is our last - it seems like we have to get it right. No redo's or additional chances.
Everyone who knows us knows that our kids names are all family names, and we would like to keep that going. (It makes it easier when you get the inevitable weird look after someone hears their name - to be able to say, "It's my grandpa's name." They can't really argue.)
Here's the thing about naming children: everyone has strong opinions. I don't exclude myself. I've been known to shake my head a little at some names that parents use (I'll be honest right now. My big pet peeve is "unique" name spelling. ugh.). Mike's grandma Searle once said "to each their own" in reference to naming children, and I've tried to make that my philosophy. Every parent has the prerogative to name their children & I think most parents try to do their best with that responsibility. And who's to say what the "best" names are?
We have about a month to go before baby comes. We really need to get on the ball about what we are going to name him. We have a few finalists - but we're a little bit stuck. I kind of dodge the topic with people when they ask what names we have picked out - because sometimes I'm afraid of hearing every one's opinion. The worst is getting a negative response to one of your favorite names...because it wouldn't be on your list in the first place if you didn't really like it. It's almost like being put on warning: "If you DO name your child that, I will think it is SO lame." My resolution for etiquette when in the future someone tells me the names they are considering for their baby: compliment the ones I like, or find something neutral to say.
Parents need all the positive they can get. And a baby is a miracle no matter what crazy name their parents give them. Right?
Parents need all the positive they can get. And a baby is a miracle no matter what crazy name their parents give them. Right?
No comments:
Post a Comment