Friday, October 28, 2011

In the Trenches: Fundamentals of Toilet Training

With a title like that you KNOW this is going to be a post worth reading, right?
I'll sum-up by saying I'M the one being schooled on this matter, by THIS kid.


After potty training 4 kids you'd think I would know a thing or two about it. I thought I did.
#5 has had me stalled out on square one for some time. Every time I broach the topic, he either changes the subject like he didn't even hear me, or if I push the issue he gives me responses that cause me to question whether he knows what I'm talking about AT ALL. I've explained the mechanics and read books to him about it. Then we drink and sit, sit again, sit again, drink and sit....Nada. But as soon as the underpants are pulled up again...BAM! What? Why? We're still just trying to have ONE success to get us off the launch pad. I mean, he is THREE YEARS OLD.
Whatever. Anyway, a couple of things:
#1. It's tougher than you would think to get poop out of a skeleton costume.
#2. Before flipping out about the 3rd or 4th puddle of pee on the floor in one day, it is good to remind one's self that urine is sterile...so we're told.

I currently have 3 books on the subject checked out from the library. I think only one of them will be useful at all for #5. One of the others, Diaper Free Baby, is all about toileting your infant. Like from a few weeks old. Sooooo...we're a little late on that technique for Sully...but hey, who knows, maybe Ab? Perhaps we'll get them trained at the same time.
he he he.
Good vibes and suggestions are welcome in the cause...or you can donate to the diapers-till-middle-school fund. :)

2 comments:

kirsten said...

Oh, gosh, I'm sorry. You know I commiserate, as it took a full year with D, and by the end we had both boys training at the same time. My best tips are just to use a timer (like every 5 min or something) for every time he needs to at least try (because then it's not you telling him all the time, it's the timer), juice him up as much as he'll possibly drink, rewards go a long way.
AND the thing that worked (we were feeling quite as desperate as you, I believe) was getting a training urinal. laugh all you want, but it's genius, and worked great. very forgiving of the 'vertical aim' which is the hardest part. plus great for later trainers as they get too big for a potty, but too small for just the toiler. And they can see what's happening really easily. it was AWESOME.
ours was this one:
http://www.pottytrainingconcepts.com/Potty-Training-Urinal3.html

and remember, you have one more to train -might be worth it! (it was SO worth it just for one kid in our family!)

Kay said...

I'm of the mindset that you start on the big toilet from day one. That's where everyone else goes, so they might as well learn it too. I just teach them how to hold on with their legs. Trying a variety of techniques seems to be helpful as well (reward charts, praise, reading books on the toilet or playing games, involving the siblings for encouragment). I like to pick a week to start and set everything possible aside so I can devote every day to potty training. Usually within that week if I'm CONSISTENT with them, they have at least one experience where they get it in the toilet. After a few of those, it's a lot easier to talk about feeling the need to use the toilet. Tom was especially hard headed. I got him to use the toilet once or twice, but then he refused to use it. I had to resort to cold showers. That took three or four times, but then he was a lot more willing to use the toilet when I told him it was time.

Good luck Ang. I know you already know the basics. My biggest piece of advice is be committed and be consistent. Kids can sense if you're willing to give in.