![]() |
| One of the first nights of practice - about 100 degrees out there. |
Noble has been interested in playing full contact football for the last few years, and I have put him off - for a variety of reasons. I was hoping he would change his mind. When he asked to do it again this year I couldn't say no. But we also had some conversations with him: about this representing a new level of competition for him, and a serious commitment (they practice 6 days a week for the first month). We reminded him that he would be getting hit. He assured us he was ready. We also told him how expensive it would be - and that we wanted him to earn $50 towards the registration fee. He did odd jobs, a few very successful lemonade stands with his friends - and (to my surprise) actually earned the money. Which said a lot to me about his readiness for this experience. Somehow he has seemed to grow up a lot this summer. And I am ready to embrace that. After all, the goal is to turn them out as capable adults some day, prepared, not only to take care of themselves, but to benefit the world around them in meaningful ways. I think that I needed to change, back off a little, and let him choose this, let him grow. Even if it dominates his free-time for a while, even with the risk of getting hurt...and especially because it is hard and will demand a lot of him.
Let them grow.
![]() |
| My growing boy. |


1 comment:
He really is growing up so fast. It seems that parents grow along with their kids too. Can't wait to see how the season goes.
Post a Comment