I am trying to keep up with the blog. Not very effectively.
In the past month we've had kids in two different theatrical performances.
Grace's 5th grade class put on A Midsummer Nights Dream. She played Snug and a very convincing lion. Unfortunately (and par for the course with me), I left my camera at home that day. You'll have to take my word for it. She was awesome!
Jessie's after-school theater group put on their performances the last week in November. It was a musical tribute to the silent film era: "When 'Silents" Was Golden". She played Mary Pickford ("America's Sweetheart", as she had a habit of reminding us). Mike and I attended the opening night performance, along with my mom, my niece, and Mike's dad. Other than some technical difficulties with the lighting board, it was fantastic. Mike and I couldn't make it to the second performance, but the word on the street is that it was even better! Mike's parents, my brother and his family, and a bunch of Jessie's friends were there to represent that night. Jess did a great job.
That girl likes to perform. I really don't know where she gets it.
Here she is, opening night, doing her "damsel in distress" on the railroad tracks scene:
A clip of the finale, just as my battery was dying:
In other dramatic news...
I have been helping to plan the ward Christmas party (again) this year. This kind of thing makes me stressed. I was not born with a gift for party planning. But with a lot of qualified help I am hoping that it will come together again this year. With all that goes into these things, I almost feel like we should be working for Disneyland or something, ...creating elaborate worlds.
The theme this year is "Christmas in Paradise" aka: a luau.
Imagine: A grass tiki hut juice bar (picture little umbrella drinks while people arrive and mingle), deluxe luau food (thanks to Kris Kemp and crew), live ukulele music, Santa in a Hawaiian shirt & Bermudas, handing out candy leis to all the good little girls and boys, various Polynesian dances from the YM, the YW and the Primary, and a reverent video presentation about the birth of Christ from the point of view of those in the New World, to round out the evening. In my basement I have cardboard tiki totem poles, spears & surfboards. We have inflatable flamingos (not Polynesian, but whatever...), fishing nets, pool noodle palm trees, giant tissue paper flowers, and even Polynesian nativity sets (don't ask)....etc.
This all goes down tomorrow. I will let you know how the evening of magic turns out.
Break a leg!

No comments:
Post a Comment