Friday, May 17, 2013

Putting Out Fires...And Starting Them SPECTACULARLY

Being a mom you get to contend with a lot of crazy scenarios. Take today. Right after I got off the phone with Poison Control (The little boys had managed to get into a bottle of Children's Tylenol while I was cleaning. No worries. I found out they could have safely downed twice as much as they did. Good to know for next time. Plus I am now on the radar of DCFS again. It's been a few years, but they know me. ha ha ha.) I had to break out the steam cleaner (best investment I ever made) to sterilize the rug in the little boys' room because Sully has a thing lately with peeing in random spots. I discovered this latest deposit while wrestling with the boys in their room, and I rolled face-first into urine-dampened carpet. That was awesome. Earlier this week he used the garage as his personal latrine, and then the bathroom garbage can. He doesn't seem to have a preference, except that it NOT be a toilet.

Then there was yesterday.

As the kids piled into the car after school, Noble launched into a casual story from the back seat about how their Science teacher had mentioned that it was possible to make PLASMA - the cosmic, state of matter kind - with a grape and a microwave. To which I responded in disbelief, "Whatever. No way."

Turns out it's a real thing.

** I have to say right here, that telling a pack of 6th Grade boys how to create plasma in a microwave is about as responsible as telling them how to build a bomb with household chemicals. They will be compelled to try it...especially when they have lunch immediately after, where someone is bound to have grapes in their lunch box,  in a room with microwave ovens.**

Apparently, Noble and his friends gave it a shot, with great success and peer-adulation....... and then spent the remainder of their lunch period in the office with the Principal. I am glad she took it so well, and refrained from calling HAZMAT (creating plasma like that produces toxic fumes). She told them she could understand their innocent curiosity,  but expected them to never do it again.

So, I can't say I didn't learn something new yesterday. We all did. This video will give you an idea of the type of fireworks Noble & Co. created in the school lunch room yesterday.
Pretty impressive.


3 comments:

Beth said...

All the things I get to look forward to. What is it about boys and peeing anywhere but toilets?

Kay said...

Hank was my only one to think that was a great idea. I eventually kicked him outside to "live with the dog" in a purely Ilean-inspired move. He got the point after an hour of sitting in the dog house in the middle of a snow storm. Haven't had a problem since. :)

LeShel said...

Sad to say I'm with the boys. This looks awesome!! I can just see Mrs. Farris chatting with the teacher after it all. I love that your kiddo has a great story to tell. I hope he didn't feel too much guilt. Totally innocent.