This summer is flying by at lightning speed. We are having some great times.
| The little boys basking in the glory of Sully's new birthday Star Wars bed sheets (thanks Grandma and Grandpa Melton!) Look at the rapture on Abner's face. |
| I decided to lash my own pumpkin garden trellis. I enlisted some kids to give me a hand. |
| This pic of Sully gives you an idea of how helpful they were --- pulling ninja moves with my bamboo. |
| And this. Noble lounging all over the finished product. |
| An easy-going summer Saturday morning. |
A last-minute patriotic FHE with the Sullivans at our house. Fire pit smores and inspirational message by Mike.
| I LOVE that Grace is in Clone Trooper costume for the flag ceremony. |
| Plus, we were treated to this breath-taking sky. |
Sully took his first swimming lessons. We tried to get him to do it a few summers ago but he would have NONE of it. It helped this time that he was a few years older, and that he was signed up with his cousin, Tom. They had some good times.
Until the last day of class when the teacher took them to the diving board for the first time. I had NO idea this was coming. My sister Kay and I were talking just as they were getting on the diving board, and she asked if I thought Sully would hesitate to jump like Tom had. I said, "Ehh, he might a little. But he'll do it."
Oh my, was I wrong.
There is no footage of his first attempt (thank goodness) which amounted to Sully standing on the diving board for 15 minutes solid without jumping (my sister actually timed it). At first the kids in line behind him shouted out encouragingly, "Go, Sully! Jump!" By the end, they were all screaming through chattering teeth, "GO ALREADY!!!!!" You cannot believe how tense I was. (I don't know why his teacher wouldn't let me get on the diving board to lower him down, but finally I MADE him come back off the board so the other kids would have a chance.) He begged to go try again after the other kids jumped a few more times, and I finally let him try one more time.
Here is the video. You will never see a more excruciating attempt at getting into the water off a diving board. I was torn between wanting to be invisible (I felt so bad that my kid was monopolizing the board) and laughing till I cried. (Thanks, Kay for capturing this.)
Whew. Glad that's over.
Last week we took a picnic and hit the drive-in movie (Monsters Univ.) with the kids. This was super fun...I want to make this a summer tradition.
| Late night. |
| Blurry picture...the new sand box (Sully's birthday present from Grandma and Grandpa Sullivan - thanks!). There's been a lot more sand in the house. The kids LOVE it. |
Crazy hats.
| Noble brought this spectacular hat home for Grace. She loves it. |
| More swimming lessons. |
I love monsoon season. There's nothing more perfect after a hot summer day than a thunder storm in the afternoon/evening. Ahhhh.
| Nothing finer than playing in a summer rain storm (I love that Abner is wearing Grace's old flowery pink rain coat. Hey, if it does the job...) |
| Culling the snail population (they come out in force when it rains in the evening). |
Summer is the best!
No comments:
Post a Comment