Saturday, July 12, 2014

Land of the Free and Home of the Brave

We spent another memorable 4th. In the morning we went to the neighborhood 4th of July flag ceremony and breakfast at the church, worked on some things around the house for a few hours and then met up with the Sullivan clan at the homestead. 

This year was better than ever!
After a BBQ, slip-n-slide, chatting / laughing it up, and naps we all convened to the front curb for the fireworks show. This year we amped things up a bit. Earlier in the week Mike had received a group text (to all the men in the neighborhood) from one of our neighbors who "knew a guy" who could get them a great deal on fireworks. The next thing I knew Mike showed up at the house with an arsenal of aerial fireworks.
 All of them completely legal.... I feel like I should clarify.   :)
  I snapped this picture as Mom was giving a pre-fireworks Independence Day speech (it was a little like reading the story of the first Christmas before opening all the presents).

Aunt Kay holding the babies

Zeke  waiting for the main event.

The professional.
Sean was instructing the new recruits in the art of ignition. 

The girls.

Jess and snow-cone-faced Abner.


The clouds were SO pretty I couldn't resist taking a picture.

And check out the MOON!!! I was impressed with my zoom.


Now back to the show...

This year Noble and Jack were initiated into the elite ranks of family fireworks technicians. They did pretty well. No one was injured or burned. 

They started us out with a barrage of paratrooper rockets...the younger kids were LOVING this part!
Aerials. Lot's of fun. Best quote of the night came from Sean as the aerials exploded one after another and ash drifted down on the crowd, "It's raining freedom!!!"  ha ha ha ha ha....

Fire prevention squad on duty after the grand finale.
 To finish the night off right, we laid blankets out on the back yard lawn and projected the Lego Movie onto the back of the house. That was a big hit with everyone. Love that movie.

It was a magical 4th of July!

No comments: