Sunday, December 14, 2014

A Night Out with a Couple of 1st Graders

The Mormon Tabernacle Choir Christmas Concert is notoriously hard to get tickets for. They offer tickets for only 3 performances, plus an abbreviated Sunday morning sampling. When I heard who the guest performers were going to be this year I so wanted to get tickets. Usually children under 8 are not admitted to these performances, but, under the circumstances, they opened this year's concert to  children as young as 5. I thought Sully would love it. I put the word out among family members to put their names in the lottery to see if any of us could score these coveted tickets. Out of 7 or 8 lottery entries just one, my mom, came away with tickets, which she handed over to us. THANKS MOM!



We invited Sully's cousin Tom to join us for the evening.  Traffic was a mess and it took us longer to get downtown than we hoped. Parking was 4 blocks away from the Conference Center, and we were going to have to scramble to make sure they didn't give away our seats to standby. I held Tom's hand as we all made like super heroes and ran the 4 blocks. I had been getting over a cold, and by about block 2 my lungs were burning. I told Mike that we would have to slow up, but they all wanted to keep running. Tom was disgusted with his running partner, and asked Mike if he could hold his hand instead. (ha ha ha ha)
By the time we lined up to enter the Conference Center I could not stop coughing, and I kept on coughing all night off and on. 

The concert was so much fun. My favorite part? When organist Richard Elliot did "The Twelve Days of Christmas" with the Count. Mike says he almost cried when the choir did the Polish carol "Infant Holy, Infant Lowly". My emotional moment came when Santino Fontana and the Muppets sang "Sing a Song" -- don't know if that means I'm less sophisticated, but that song holds a lot of childhood memories for me. 
Thanks everyone who threw their names in the hat for us to try to help us get tickets. 
It was a magical evening!

No comments: