About a week after we got back from our trip Mike contracted the plague. It turned out to be a case of strep on top of a some nasty virus that sent stabbing pain through his stomach and chest intermittently (especially if he tried to eat). So even after we managed to beat back the strep with antibiotics, he was still totally incapacitated for another week. He went days without eating. I started to get worried. I wondered if I should take him to the hospital because he just wasn't eating at all.
He couldn't eat my homemade chicken soup (too thick), no toast, no mashed potatoes, no shakes...(but he did try a little homemade egg nog that I made him at Mom's suggestion). He got to where he could eat the mostly broth canned chicken soup, and even though he rolled his eyes when I brought home the kind of supplemental geriatric shake that is designed to help sick old people gain weight (he kept calling it weight gainer), I knew at least he was getting some calories and nutrients.
He survived on these two things, plus saltine crackers for 3-4 days.
He dropped 12 pounds before he turned a corner and came back (little by little) to the land of the living. The first day he was able to go back to work (he missed about 4 days - on top of our week in Nauvoo - ouch) he called me and announced gratefully that he felt like he was at 50%. He's still a little weak. This has sure made him grateful for his health (and me too!).
Because Mike was so sick he mostly missed out on all the Halloween festivities: the Ward Trunk or Treat, pumpkin carving, the family Halloween party, and Halloween trick or treating. He also had to cancel our planned family trip to Goblin Valley right before Halloween (I was so relieved - I was not looking forward to cramming that into an already super busy week and month).
 |
| Carving our pumpkins |
 |
| Ward Trunk or Treat - the best costumes of the night - Bill S. Preston, Esquire and Ted Theodore Logan (Jess and friend) |
 |
| Family Halloween Party - Minnie Mouse and Day of the Dead girl |
 |
| Noble with Baby Maven |
 |
| Neighbor friends ready to Trick or Treat! |
 |
| So grateful for neighbors who took our little boys Trick or Treating because they knew Mike was out of commission and I needed to be at the helm with the candy bucket. |
1 comment:
weight gainer...ha ha ha too funny. Glad that Mike is on the mend!
Post a Comment