Friday, March 26, 2010

Simple Food: Bread.

Making our daily bread is a long tradition in my family. I'm sure I was the only kid in my elementary school (besides my brother and sisters) who's sandwiches were always made with homemade bread. I got a lot of questions. My sister Holly had it even better. Because of a wheat allergy she had to bring RICE CAKE sandwiches to school. (hahahaha...Sorry Holly, that's still funny to me.)

Growing up, making the bread was a rotating chore, like vacuuming. Still, I never got really good at it. After I got married I didn't really bother with it at all until about 5 or 6 years ago. Mike's mom took me to a bread making class at Bosch - and I was inspired again.

Making a big enough batch in my Kitchen Aid has been an on-going challenge (not enough horse-power for bread dough) so lately I've ditched the mixer (since I don't have a super sweet Bosch) to do it my Grandma Sampson's way: by hand.

In fact this was her bread making bowl...another thing I inherited before she died.

She had this idea about soaking her wheat after she ground it for a few hours...some mystical voodoo thing about the 'living' wheat germ. I don't know. My brother-in-law, Bruce, follows her method with fantastic results. Anyway, somehow my kids actually prefer homemade wheat bread. Whenever I make it they eat all the loaves within a day or two -- toast, butter & honey, sandwiches. I can't complain. I just need to make the time to bake more. Mmmm. Warm bread.


4 comments:

KimnSam said...

oh that looks so good!! I'll have to stop in sometime!

Beth said...

Homemade bread is definately preferred in our household too. I never make it, but we always look pitiful enough that mom gives us a loaf or two.

kirsten said...

you've gotta try the artisan bread in 5 minutes a day method! it rocks and is amazing!

Elena Lunt said...

I need to get into bread making. Homemade is definitely better. Yulia's latest favorite book is 'Healthy Bread in 5 minutes a day' (from the authors of 'Artisian Bread in 5 minutes a day.' The only thing she changes is soaking the freshly ground flower in water with lemon or apple cider (supposed to free wheat from phytic acid and help your body assimilate minerals.) Oh the things I learn from my health conscious sister.