Monday, March 19, 2012

In the Trenches: Wearing Clothes Past their Expiration

For a lot of people there is a certain stage of life (the haggered parent approaching mid-life) when other things become more important than fashion. And suddenly you find yourself wearing stuff like this around.
(I caught Mike in this yesterday.)

 When time and money have their limits and priorities have changed, sometimes keeping on the crest of the fashion wave & shopping for clothes (for yourself) comes in about 3rd to last on your list.
And so... I find myself getting most of my stuff hand-me-down from my sister and others who don't undervalue shopping like I do. I have a few circa 2000 items cycling through my repetoire and a pair of shoes approaching 10 years in my closet. I still wear them. I even still like them. That's saying something.
The point is: personal style is one of those concessions you make. One of the luxuries you shed when the needs of others compete for scarce resources. Not all people put fashion so far down on the list - and that's ok. There are different sacrifices people make. But the next time you see a frumpy girl walking past - be gentle. It might be me. (ha ha ha)

1 comment:

Kay said...

You see frumpy, I see a mother and wife who holds herself above such petty things as "what's the latest". I find that the "fumpier" the person, the better balanced they tend to be. Besides just because it's old, doesn't mean it's not cute. If you love it, it's going to make you look and feel good. Sew some patches on Mike's elbows! That's livin' real! We could spend our time on ebay or at D.I. looking for a fashion fix, but of course there's just no time.

I've spent half of yesterday on the internet picking out things from various stores, only to realize when I looked at the totals, I could really just buy one thing. Feeling your pain.