Friday, October 16, 2009

A More Sincere Pumpkin Patch


We ventured out for our annual visit to the pumpkin patch last night. This is something we've been doing every year for the past 10 - always the same pumpkin patch (except for one year that I can remember). But the thing is, either the idea is catching on... or THAT many more people have moved into the area because it was packed ...on a Thursday night. When we first started going it was a pretty simple operation: a field of pumpkins, bring your own wagon/wheel barrow, and find a pumpkin. But now.... They've recently expanded the parking area to accommodate twice as many cars. They have a fleet of wheel barrows on hand, an industrial size truck scale, photo-op hay stacks, etc. I don't have anything against progress - or making the pumpkin patch experience available to more people. I don't have anything against the pumpkin people making bank on their pumpkin patch...or folks bringing their kids in pumpkin knit beanies and orange tutus. But ...it all seems more contrived than before. Still none of the magic was lost on the kids...they had a blast as usual seeking in the most distant corners of the pumpkin patch for their perfect pumpkin. The sunset was beautiful, the mountains capped with snow, crisp air... a good time was had by all.

4 comments:

Turbo said...

Looks like a pretty good time!

kirsten said...

I can't tell if it's the same one we go to - the schmidt's on 90th? we went on a tuesday - with wind and later rain - we barely missed getting wet. But it wasn't packed at all. woo!

anyway, looking at several people's pumpkin patch photos recently, i'm realizing that hey, at least they GROW them on those fields, right? So many people go to ones with straw covering the ground and pumpkins scattered on the straw - brought in from who knows where.

ANG said...

K: - Yup. That's the one. ANd yes, I do appreciate that they grow a crop of pumpkins on site (although Mike called me naive a few years ago when I expressed amazement at how MANY they could grow - he said they absolutely "supplement" their crop). I like to go to Schmidt's...I hope they don't develop that lot.

Holly said...

I love Sully's red nose!
We have enjoyed growing our own pumpkins, the kids really get excited watching their pumpkins grow through the summer. Mom has lots of room, you should plant your own pumpkins next year. That would definitely be a more sincere pumpkin patch!