BEETS! 
(This batch came from my mom's vegetable garden this fall.)
For some reason when beets are mentioned lots of people turn their noses up - including a few of my children. (I remember a little children's book my family used to have about a kid who refused to eat his beets until he had a bad dream about a giant beet coming to eat him.) I can't figure that out - because if ever there was a vegetable that was sweet, yummy & easy to make, this is it.
People seem to get all fussy about removing the tough skin, and so end up avoiding them all together because if you're trying to peel them first they're tricky and really messy. I deal with them the way I deal with new potatoes: scrub 'em, chop 'em, steam 'em - and then add a little butter at the end. Plus, beet greens are super nutritious. I like to saute' them with a little butter and garlic, just until they wilt a little. The kids actually love the greens. (go figure?)
Beets + quinoa for dinner. That's what I'm talking about.
1 comment:
WE LOVE BEETS!!
watch out for discolored you know what...:)
Post a Comment