Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Wednesday Morning

Cold this morning.

In the carpool we watched a GIANT full moon set over the Oquirrh Mountains to the northwest, and then the sun rise under a bank of clouds between Lone Peak and Timp in the east. It was a sublime moment in the carpool.

Then I came back home to hang out with Sully.

There was a time (when Jess was little) when this stay-at-home-mom thing felt like dull business, like I'd given up something more important, like I was wasting my options and talents. I can't say I ever regretted having kids or staying home to raise them - but there was a time when it seemed like I was being left behind by the world.

That all changed several years ago. I realized that the "sacrifices" I thought I was making weren't actually sacrifices, that I had gained the most.... I was embarrassed that I had ever felt negative and apologetic about being a mom.

Even though there are lots of times when I still feel frustrated and exhausted, I can honestly say that I appreciate my job as mother more now. I think I see it in a more truthful light = THE most important (and satisfying) work. Motherhood (actually parenthood in general) does more to refine and teach us the essential lessons in life than anything else I can think of. It's constantly humbling, challenging, thankless, and beautiful. Makes us into creatures who live to give to others. I can see that better now.

4 comments:

Turbo said...

I like the new blog design. Also, really like the photo in this post. For sure, being a parent is an amazing privilege/responsibility.

Kay said...

Yea, I remember feeling like I had the dullest job on the planet. Now I feel like I have the hardest but definitely the most important. Nice blog Ang, keep up the good work.

KimnSam said...

That's awesome, it helps me be reminded of really how blessed all of us stay @ home moms are. So many women long to be home and have to be at work. It really is a blessing not just for our kids, but for us too! Thanks for the reminder.

Holly said...

Emory recognizes those feet! ahhh chubby legs. It is nice when you can stop and savor the treasure that being a parent really is