Thursday, January 7, 2010

...Like a Pollo With it's Head Cut Off...

...that's me (Mike will have to correct my Spanish if I used the wrong word for chicken).

You cannot believe how complicated it is to try and leave 5 kids, 3 pets, a house, church callings, job, volunteer demands at the kids' school, etc. for a week. Well, maybe you can believe it...and you're also thinking "That is why parents with young kids should NEVER leave town on their own." Still I have to say, taking 5 kids with us to the backwaters of southern Mexico would be even MORE complicated (& scary). By the way, thanks so much to all who will be helping out with it all so we can go.

Before next week I have a list about a mile long to get through, including a birthday party for a six year old boy - the obligatory Star Wars themed party that somehow we have avoided till now. I just couldn't refuse him...he has always been such a good sport about having kind of an unfortunately timed birthday (i.e. right after Christmas when I'm all partied/gifted out). He's put up with years of kind of lame, last minute birthday recognition...and I've been promising him this one for more than a year. (You're awesome, Tillman.) Today he and I took some time and transformed a basketball pinata into the Death Star (to be destroyed in a triumphant battle on Saturday by eight enthusiastic 5-6 year old boys).




I don't know how much it actually looks like the Death Star...but close enough.
My favorite part was listening to him repeatedly use the correct Spanish pronunciation of the word "pinata", emphasizing the "t".
Anyway, hopefully I can get through the next few days without forgetting anything critical. I may not be posting for a little while. Until then...(I just thought of the song they always sing at the end of the Lawrence Welk Show - you know what I mean.)Auf wiedersehen!

5 comments:

Turbo said...

Awesome death star pinata! I'm excited for you guys to go on your trip. Try not to get to stressed out. :)

Beth said...

Your going to have so much fun with the Bachands that it will be worth it. I wish we were going with you all. Maybe one day. The death star looks fabulous!

KimnSam said...

Awesome!! I feel for you too, it's tough to package up your life in a neat little box and hand it to someone for a week. Good luck with the party, did you read about Reese's? Just anchor down anytyhing moveable in the house and brace yourself for the hurricane that is a boy's b-day party! :) Good luck and have fun!!!

Anonymous said...

All I have to say Ang, is (to paraphrase our son's famous words from year's ago), "I love you all the way to the death star."

ANG said...

Thanks Mike (Anonymous) ...I love you all the way to the Death Star...and BACK!