Thursday, April 29, 2010

Is there a diagnosis for this?

Now I know how I might react in the event of a major crisis:
stunned inaction.
I admit it. I would be a crappy paramedic - or any profession where the stakes are relatively high and the environment is chaotic...wait a second, that's MY job. Great.

I'm totally discombobulated.

We have a bunch of unknowns before us, as we wait to find out where we're going, but knowing we have less than 2 weeks to move. I'm dealing with the emotions of leaving, the nervousness of arriving somewhere else (but where?). I compulsively think through the possibilities for each of the houses we've made offers on. My anxious thoughts wake me up early every morning and I lay there trying to figure out the un-figurable. Finances are up in the air. Add in the demands of a busy family that don't stop for us to get our bearings. Help.

I called my mom and my sister, Kay, yesterday to beg for their help. And to whine. I need their superior organizational skillz, and one of those 'Get-a-hold-of-yourself!!!' smacks to the face. (Holly, I really wish you were here.)

I realize I sound like a wuss. I know I'll survive...but...

6 comments:

Turbo said...

I'm sure that the snow isn't helping. Hang in there.

Beth said...

So much frustration. I know we aren't any good at the orginaztional stuff, and there isn't much of our time we can offer, but we can offer muscle...we can do that. Call us whenever you need kids out of the house and heavy lifting...I'm officially volunteering Roy.

Holly said...

Yeah, you took the words right out of my mouth, I really wish I was there too (my sweat is dripping onto my computer keyboard). Breathe, half the trouble with moving is the stuff and stuff can be managed (or gotten rid of). Living out of suitcases and boxes for an extended period of time sucks but it builds character because you learn to live with less and appreciate the little things more. Having never been able to put down roots anywhere has made all of our moves easier, I'm certain the separation is hard. But you are not moving very far, and your kids will be in the same school, sports teams etc. Call me if you think your head is going to explode. I am more than happy to help in any way that I can from here.

kirsten said...

funny, i was thinking the same thing "I'll bet she wishes Holly were here".

Of course you're freaked out- we all would be in the same situation! And have been when we moved here, etc. It'll be fine, you can do this and all that jazz. you won't just survive, you'll thrive.

I am particularly good at the whole 'smacks to the face' thing. just so you know.
Also good at the supervising of children and setting up yard sales if you decide to go that route - although I'll bet you D.I. - I just did.

ANG said...

Thanks for the support, guys. I'm already feeling more calm.

Kay said...

Sorry, I never made it up Friday, but I needed a break myself. Maybe you just need to look at what's more important for the time being. It sounds like you're trying not to interupt your regular family routine. But maybe you need to. After all it's only a couple of weeks until you're out of the house. Tell the kids they're on hold. Your sanity should be number one priority.

Hope you've made some progress on the packing. I'll be up this week for sure.