Nice.
It's OK, Mike told him he was out of line (and made sure to kiss me once or twice extra as they left for their father/sons camp-out tonight). I told Mike that kids are expert at telling the naked truth. And that's OK. I mean that doesn't mean it's any less awkward when a 4-year-old Tillman called that guy in the Jiffy-Lube waiting room 'really fat' a few years back. When I quietly told him that was rude, he (just as loudly) replied, "But he IS fat!" I couldn't argue. But I still made him apologize.
Coming to terms with change can be tough. I've been thinking of that a lot lately. This week Mike's 92 year old grandma needed to be moved to an assisted living facility here in South Jordan. As she and I sat talking about things yesterday, I told her it takes a lot of courage to face life as it is, and adapt ourselves to it. Like after you have your first baby and life seems like it will NEVER be the same. And it's not - but you grow into it. I told her that when we moved to our new house Tillman spent weeks crying every night because he missed our old house and the way life was there. But our needs had changed....just like hers have. So we keep moving forward.
Over the past 8 years or so we've watched both sets of our parents lovingly care for their aging parents. I know it's been hard for them. That example has had a profound effect on us. Change and strength and love.
Grandma and the kids - taking it easy at her new place.
2 comments:
Thanks for the thoughtful post, I'm sad to not be there for her in this time of big change. Howard has been so good to help her so much. Love to Grandma and all the family.
Ouch, I hope my kids never say I look THAT much older than Derek. I'm sure it's the harrassed look we mother's get that tends to add years, but unfortunately, someone has to take that role on, of being the Mom I mean. We love you Angie, and you definitely don't look like your in your 40's! Thankfully being the Mom also has it's tremendous rewards.
Post a Comment