Yesterday while I was out THOROUGHLY enjoying my morning run I was thinking about stuff. I guess it was the meditative music I chose on the iPod to change things up, but ... (I started reading The Compleat Angler last night too. I must definitely be in a philosophical mood.)
A long time ago (check out my braces - ha ha ha...)
As some of you might know, I used to run my guts out in high school, seriously. (We can talk privately about some of the physical effects of that...) I dreaded racing like you wouldn't believe and I suffered a lot of anxiety all the way through Cross Country season every year. Anyway, after four years of that I was content to never race again. It's taken some years for me to find a new purpose in running.
I used to run to WIN.
I've learned how to run for meditation, renewal, endorphins,to be outside, to feel good...
I do a race here and there with friends and family (and when I do I have to watch myself to keep that competitive monster in me from rearing up), but running for me is mostly about what it adds to my life from day to day. I think it's cool when people train for something that really challenges them, we all need a challenge. But I'm not planning on the Wasatch 100 anytime soon (my brother did that a few times a few years ago, and it's pretty cool if you've got time for 40-50 mile training runs - that was when he was single). And I don't drive around with a 26.2 sticker on my car (no offense if you have one of those).
I may sound like an old lady in a Tai Chi class... these days I run for the joy of running.

2 comments:
As it should be Ang. Promise me, when I'm not "great with child" anymore that we will go running together...I would like to have someone to run with again!
Angie with braces, how cute. I hardly recognized you. Not that you are not cute now. About running... I wish I could relate. Your writing, however, is almost inspiring someone like me to run.
Post a Comment