Sunday, July 31, 2011

In the Trenches: Snail Wars

We have a problem with these. Oh man, do we. This past week Mitch-darling recruited the kids & went on the hunt. They came away with 4 grocery bags full. I think Mike hoped that they had hunted them to extinction, but found that they had merely culled the snail population, picking off the weakest and slowest...leaving us with a more resilient, superior breed.

If you've got solutions, I'm listening.


When I was 6 or something I remember my mom buying a six-pack of cheap beer, & laying out open cans in the strawberry patch at our house in Castle Rock. The snails were supposed to crawl into the cans (because, as everyone knows, snails love beer) and then drown in a drunken stupor. My mom gave up on that tactic. Besides the fact that it didn't kill off that many snails, it had the obvious risk involved with lots of open beer cans laying around the yard where about 30 kids came and went every day. I myself had a close call there. Finding an open beer can in the fridge (assuming it was a soda), I had just lifted it to my mouth when my older sister literally knocked it out of my hands. That was a close one. Thanks, Holly. ha ha ha.

Here's your brain teaser for the week. How many snails (or the odd slug) can you find in this picture of my front flower bed?

1 comment:

Kay said...

Oh Wow! That is a lot of snails. I don't think they've migrated to the outskirts down here in Saratoga Springs yet. At least they're very rare. When I was at Glover's Nursery the other day, a lady was buying a bottle of snail bait/killer. I overheard here telling the clerk that Glover's was the only place she could find this particular brand. And that it was "worth it's weight in gold". Sorry I don't remember the brand, but I'm sure if you asked the people at the nursery they could point you in the right direction. Good luck.