Thursday, August 26, 2010

An episode (and the lesson) from the life of a 6th grader

What if you panic during recess football and throw the ball back to the quarterback because there's a mob chasing you down...and so everyone's disgusted and the next day you get demoted from running back to center? This is especially humiliating because you've spent the last few years cultivating an image as a college football super-fan. And your friend (who's never cared about football at all - but oozes athleticism) doesn't even try and yet she dominates all over the field.

Jess told me this painful story today. I felt for her. Everyone knows that feeling of being inadequate. (I totally wrote a song on my guitar about something like this in college. I should whip it out and sing it for her. No, that's not such a great idea.) She actually mulled over the idea of signing up for a flag-football league this fall...to get better, to save face.  - I had to smile.
Our girl.

I tried to reassure her that she is talented in SO many ways...that's hard to see when you only see the strengths in others and the flaws in yourself. We talked about how she could get better if she really wanted to - but in life you kind of have to prioritize what things you're going to commit time and effort to, and learn to accept the rest.

The more I parent...the longer I live... I think more about the criteria we use to judge ourselves and others.  We tell ourselves and others that we only matter if we have...... beauty, knowledge, style, talent, creativity, money, cleverness, image, recognition... 

You know what I mean?

"It is not good to make others feel as though they are deficient. Let us lift those around us." - Dieter F. Uchtdorf
(Jessie, you are just right. We'll play a little practice football this weekend if you want.)   :)

1 comment:

Beth said...

We love Jess just the way she is! Even more so because of what she does in those panic situations.