A few months back Mike finally gave in and went for a Dr.'s check up. His cholesterol levels came back "borderline". With that, I began to do what many a loving wife before me has done: nag him about diet and fitness. He's been doing better about eating (his primary problem in the past has been NOT eating - because he gets busy, etc. It takes time and preparation to eat well) - but not so much in the exercise department. Then, out of the blue he came home with a pair of Vibram Five Fingers and he's been INSPIRED. He comes home from his nightly runs wanting to go back out for MORE. What in the...?
He says, "That felt SO good" every time he walks back in the door. I am kind of speechless. But I'm just going to go with it. I started reading the book that he's been glued to lately, Born to Run . It's a pretty entertaining read - and I can see why it might give you a different perspective on running. I've been known to accept crazy alternative stuff before, so it makes sense to me.
When Mike mentioned his new minimalist running hobby to a guy at work who has his own running club, the guy said, "That's kind of like that telemark skiing you do. Kind of cult-ish." Ha ha ha - awesome. Mike's response, and over-all life philosophy is just going to be: "Free the heel, man."
Go, Mitch-darling.
The C.B.S. referred to above is not the television network, but my brother, Casey. We celebrated his 40th tonight. Here he is modeling his gift from us - one of Noble's hand printed Nachrool t-shirts.
It's hard to believe that I have a 4o year-old sibling. It puts things into perspective. I really, really think that NO ONE ever had a better big brother than me. He has always been a person without guile, or pretense. Just real...and good. I followed him around most of the first 18 years of my life, looked up to him, trying to do whatever he did. He is one of those people that EVERYONE loves. I think it's because he makes everyone feel important. We love him and his little family so much. Happy 40th, Casey! I'm right behind you.
1 comment:
I'm with you about Casey. No one has a bigger heart, or more willing to act in another's behalf than my big bro. Yes, he has his quirks we all like to make fun of, but he has all aces in the stuff that really counts.
Tell Mike to keep up the good work. :)
Post a Comment