Monday, July 2, 2012

Summertime Miscellanea

(I've been uninspired about keeping up with the blog, which probably means I need to make more of an effort, update, move the furniture, etc.)

 Big news this week: Double-A (Abner) has made major strides (literally) toward bipedalism. I think he prefers it to crawling so he's pretty motivated when he embarks across the open floor, unsupported. He's up to about 5 or 6 steps! Hooray Abner!


Abner the biped from Angie Melton on Vimeo.

Sully turned 4 years old on Friday. I can't believe it!

 Last year on his birthday we were anxiously awaiting Abner's grand entrance. The time has FLOWN by. Sully has made some big changes this year. Potty training (a really big milestone...and one that seems so distant now), preschool and outgrowing a lot of clothes. He's gotten too big for his britches in the figurative sense too. In other words, he's a lot more opinionated, and happy to let you know about it. His personality has also grown bigger - which is saying something for Sully. Yesterday as he sat down for a snack he announced, "Let's get this party started!" Oh Sully.
On his birthday he had breakfast in bed (french toast and fruit and juice). Big hit. I was busy during the day getting the older boys packed up for their trip to Michigan with their grandparents the next day. In the evening we had the chance to gather with almost all of the Sullivan cousins at my uncle's house in Sandy. My grandma was also there with my great-aunt, Patsy. We took a group photo, hugged & caught up.
So rare to see all those cousins. 
 After that we headed back to SoJo for Sully's birthday dinner / present opening. Mike's parents and mine came to celebrate with us.

Here, with his SNAKE CAKE.


 Saturday morning (and I mean early morning - like 4AM) the older boys got themselves up and ready to fly out to Michigan with Mike's parents, where they will be living it up for 10 days with their Melton cousins. I was/am a little homesick for them, but I have to admit things are a lot more docile around here. Mike also pointed out that their room will not look like a bomb went off in it for 10 whole days! But the really important thing is that they are making awesome memories. Thank you grandma and grandpa Melton! 


Last week the kids and I kept ourselves busy trying to fit in some quality bonding time together before the boys left. Library, lunch out, an outing to the pool (some of us got a little toasted) and to see the Utah Symphony in the park. The lineup included John Williams (Star Wars and Indiana Jones!), Sousa, and the 1812 Overture with canon fire. That was fun!


Mike, on the other hand, kept himself busy all week trying to wrap up month-end, which was hard because they had him scheduled for so many meetings, off-sites, and interviewing. So we didn't see him much this week. But he and I did manage a date to Red Butte Garden on Monday to see Wilco in concert. (That was kind of work-related too, since Fidelity gave us the tickets. But I'm not complaining; we had an AWESOME table with center-stage view.)  

I've been trying to keep the grass alive in this drought/heat-wave and watching fires burn in the foothills around us while I do it. It's so dry and hot. (I am SO GRATEFUL our A/C is working again. BELIEVE ME, I am.) We had a special fast at church this weekend that rain will come and for the safety of the firefighters. We're keeping those prayers going.


Once the boys get back from MI it will be pretty non-stop summer camps and stuff through July. One kid going one way, one another. Jessie won't see Noble or Tillman for more than two weeks. And then they'll go their separate ways again. It's one of those things with growing kids. You start to feel like the front door is a revolving door. I wish their lives were as family-centered as they were when they were younger. I miss that. But I know this is how it goes. They are starting to stretch those wings. I just didn't know it would come so fast. This is the part of life when I have to start inventing creative ways to keep the family unit tight. 


I've got one or two ideas. But I'm open for suggestions too.

Viva la vida!

1 comment:

Kay said...

I have no suggestions. All I can say is WOW! I can see the same thing happening for us in the not-too-distant future. :( Sad, but at the same time so needed. Mostly for them, but a little for us too. I guess this is where you stick to the small stuff. family night, family prayers, family scripture study.

We're pulling for you Angie! "Keep your stick on the ice!"